How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask socrateaser Your Own Question

socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36949
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My business bought a note that was tied to a mortgage over

Resolved Question:

My business bought a note that was tied to a mortgage over 20 years ago, and the note was properly assigned over to my business but the mortgage was not. The business has since taken bankruptcy and the owner says he is now not authorized to to sign over the mortgage as the corporate representative to a corporation that no longer exists. The problem is that my company paid for this note and mortgage and I'm unable to benefit from the assigned collateral and I was defrauded. As is, no one can collect nearly $10,000 in a suspense fund held by an oil production company. How can the owner legally sign over the mortgage to my company?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
If I undestand correctly, there is a real property asset (surface or mineral), located in Oklahoma. The property owner signed a note and mortgage secured by the property, and subsequently assigned the note to you, but not the mortgage. If that is a correct understanding of the circumstance, then you already have everything you need, because “Courts are virtually unanimous in holding that where a mortgage lender with a promissory note negotiates that note to a holder, the holder of the promissory note also obtains any mortgage securing that note." See CPT Asset Backed Certificates, Series 2004-EC1 v. Cin Kham, 2012 OK 22, 278 P.3d 586 (Okla. 2012).

You can foreclose the security without anything other than the note, as long as the mortgage is recorded and it shows your predecessor on the note as the secured party.

Hope this helps.
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36949
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Basically correct. Debtor signed note and mortgage to a bank. Bank failed and FDIC sold/assigned the note & mtg to CFS. CFS auctioned off the notes and I (FFI) bought the note. CFS never assigned the mtg to FFI, then went BKR. Oil production comp. won't turn over the oil money owed to FFI because we aren't shown as the mtg owner at the county recorders office. So do I have to file suit against CFS, that no longer exists, or how do I foreclose the security--against whom? Or, should I try to go to the bankruptcy court and get them to authorize CFS former President to sign over the assignment of mortgage, or possibly the BKR court would sign off on it.

Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.
Okay thanks.

If CFS filed Chapter 7, then it would no longer owe anything on the note that you purchased, and your only recourse would be against the property secured by the mortgage (presumably mineral rights located somewhere in Oklahoma). You would have to sue the current owner of the property on a foreclosure theory, and if the owner doesn't pay your note, then the court will order the property sold at auction, at which point you would get whatever was the high bid, and you would have no further recourse for anything beyond that.

I'm assuming that CFS did not file a Chapter 11 or that if it did, that Chapter 11 was later converted to Chapter 7, because you said it no longer exists.

Concerning this "suspense" fund, I don't know anything about that contract -- but, unless the money was somehow tied to the mortgage itself as rents or royalties collected from the property and never turned over to CFS, then I doubt you have any legal right to the money. If anything, that money belongs to the bankruptcy trustee -- who probably is unaware of its existence -- otherwise, the trustee would reopen the case and demand the money from the production company.

If the money was rents and royalties collected but never turned over to CFS, then the bankruptcy trustee would argue that it is no longer security for the note, and you're going to argue that it is security because the mortgage grants you rents and royalties as security for your note. You will probably win this argument in bankruptcy court, at which point you would have an court order that the production company can't ignore.


1. Sue the current owner of the mineral rights for foreclosure in Oklahoma civil court.
2. Sue the production company and claim that it is holding rents/royalties that are secured by the mortgage attached to the note you are holding.
3. Hopefully the parties will settle and pay your note.
4. If not, the judge will determine whether or not the production money is security for the note.

That's pretty much it, except for the part where the bankruptcy trustee may suddenly show up and try to get some of the money.

Hope this helps.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.