Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
15345323

In 2007, I filed a Ch 13 Bankruptcy in Chattanooga TN. I completed

Customer Question

In 2007, I filed a Ch 13 Bankruptcy in Chattanooga TN. I completed the required payments earlier this year, and in April of this year, I received a letter from the Ch 13 Trustee, stating the case was completed. My question is this. What now? Is there anything left for me to do (i.e. online education courses....I had to do one of those back in 2007.....or maybe it was two....I don't really remember). I called the trustee's office, and was told to ask my attorney. The problem is this. My attorney that filed for me back in 2007, no longer does bankruptcies, and when I called to ask, he also told me he didn't know what was required.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

Yes, once the trustee posts online that the payments are complete, you usually have to file a document regarding payments of any domestic support obligations during the case.

Terry L. :

Then you will have to file your debtor education counseling certificate with the court too

Terry L. :

This is the counseling you do after the filing of the case.

Terry L. :

You can use any vendor, links to both the form for each are found on the bankruptcy court website.

Terry L. :

If you have an attorney, they can help you with this too

Customer:

Would you suggest going through the hassle of getting another attorney for what I have left to do, or are the remaining requirements a fairly simple task?

Terry L. :

it's fairly simple to do

Terry L. :

the bankruptcy clerk's office can assist you with the right forms to use etc. too

Terry L. :

they probably have a help desk, most of the bankruptcy courts do for pro-se debtors

Customer:

What about the education counseling. As I recall, after completing the sessions, I had to provide the completion info directly to my attorney, which he then, had to forward to the trustee or the court, or whomever it was requiring that documentation. If I do the education now, without an attorney, how would I handle the proper notifications?

Terry L. :

there are 2 courses. 1 pre-filing 1 post-filing.
the clerk's office can check the court record to see if it had been filed.

Terry L. :

All that you need to do is have those 2 documents filed, and your discharge will be entered.

Terry L. :

The court 'notifies' everyone that they were filed electronically.

Customer:

So, basically then......go to the clerks online site, and follow the links to get those two things done?

Terry L. :

yeah, that should do it for you

Terry L. :

do you have the court website?

Terry L. :

what part of the state are you in, North South, East West?

Customer:

I'm in the "far" southeast...Chattanooga. I'm assuming that would be either south or east...scratch that....I just looked at the letterhead from the trustee, and is clearly states "Eastern District of Tennessee, Chattanooga Division"

Terry L. :

ok

Terry L. :

there is the court link

Terry L. :

The counseling link is on the first page, and links to forms too

Terry L. :

I just looked, and the domestic support obligations might just be a local rule in IL

Terry L. :

you can call the clerk's office, and they may confirm if anything else is needed. I know the form that they send out usually states what final documents are needed

Customer:

Thanks so much! I just needed to know which direction to go. You've been very helpful. I think my problem was that I was under the impression, the trustee was in control of everything, not realizing, they were just in charge of payment. So now, I can proceed in the right direction with the court. Thanks again.

Terry L., Attorney
Experience: Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar