Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

How can I have a bankruptcy 13 filing removed from my credit

How can I have a bankruptcy 13 filing removed from my credit report ?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

A bankruptcy filing stays on your credit for 7 years, and there's no way to remove it before that time runs. This is so even if you had the case dismissed.

If it has been 7 years, then you have the right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to have the information removed. You would have to file a dispute with each of the credit reporting agencies (big 3 - Equifax, TransUnon, Experian) and request that the information be removed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there no provision (or loop hole) for removing when filed in error ?

Unfortunately, no you can't remove the notation - - but you can request the credit reporting agencies to note next to the entry on your credit report that the case as voluntarily dismissed so a creditor will not think that you received a discharge, etc.