Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

In Florida, I have $2000 of past due HOA legal fees on a rental

Customer Question

In Florida, I have $2000 of past due HOA legal fees on a rental propery. If I file Chapter 13 bankruptcy, will the automatic stay stop additional fees being added to these fees. Am I correct that the proposed repayment plan would then allow for repayment of this past due bill? I understand that I will be responsible for HOA fees post petition.

Does anything change if the HOA filed a motion for a lein or has demanded rent payment from my tenants?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

In Florida, I have $2000 of past due HOA legal fees on a rental propery. If I file Chapter 13 bankruptcy, will the automatic stay stop additional fees being added to these fees.

Response 1
: Yes. See 11 U.S.C. Section 362(a):

http://doney.net/bkcode/11usc0362.htm

Am I correct that the proposed repayment plan would then allow for repayment of this past due bill? I understand that I will be responsible for HOA fees post petition.

Response 2: Yes, that is correct.

Response 3
: No. Of course, once the bankruptcy case is filed, the Automatic Stay would operate to stop any HOA action against you, your property, or demand to your Tenants.

May I ask why you gave me a negative rating for specifically answering the questions that you asked?