Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar

We filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy September 18, 2012 we submitted

Customer Question

We filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy September 18, 2012 we submitted all the paperwork to the courts and our trustee stated that he will keep our case open until we receive our federal refund. He has received the income tax refund. In June of 2013 the trustee has requested life insurances policy which he found it to have no cash out value. Today our attorney said that he is asking for our 4 most current pay check stubs Why? We file chapter 7 almost 10 months ago. We did receive discharge papers Jan. 9, 2013 from bankruptcy court.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

Discharge means that your debts will be discharged for you, and that the debts that are dischargeable are gone, and they can never collect from you again.

Terry L. :

The Case can stay open while the trustee liquidates assets.

Terry L. :

This can include taxes, insurance that is not exempt etc.

Terry L. :

The trustee can request the debtor provide information relevant to the case.

Terry L. :

As to why the trustee is asking for the stubs? That would only be a guess. Perhaps they want to make sure you have the right budget in the case, and they have the right to request this informaiton

Terry L. :

You can have your attorney ask why the trustee is asking for them. I am only speculating.

Terry L. :

The trustee reviews pay stubs, taxes, bank statements, insurance etc.to make sure everything is consistent and disclosed in the bankruptcy case.

Terry L. :

Did you have any followup questions?

Customer :

We turned in 6 months of check stubs when we filed in September 2012. I don't understand why he needs 4 of our current stubs for June and May of 2013? Thanks for your help!

Terry L. :

Maybe to make sure you have the right taxes coming out, and that you don't have disposable income? Best to just provide the stubs,and don't rock the boat. Trustee can request anything reasonable, and stubs are a reasonable request in most instances

Terry L. :

Maybe have your attorney call or email the trustee to make sure everything is all set, they probably have a working relationship and can get some insight for you.

Terry L. :

BEst of luck to you, feel free to request if there are any other questions

Terry L. :

thanks

Terry L. :

Terry

Terry L. :

Did you have any followup questions?

Terry L. :

If not, please click accept

Terry L. :

thanks

Terry L. :

Terry

Terry L. :

It's been a week, did you have any followup questions? If not, please click accept to close the question. Thanks and Good Luck! Terry