cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

What about any title loans we have?

What about any title loans we have?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.

cfortunato :

Hi JACustomer,

cfortunato :

Are you asking about car title loans?

Customer:

for chapter 7, I know regarding our home and its homestead our home won't be taken. None of our vehicles can be taken. but what about a title loan we have on a vehicle. How does that and Ch7 work? Sorry for the confusion.

cfortunato :

Thank you for your response.

cfortunato :

Thank you for your response.

12:19 PM

A title loan is treated the same as a mortgage.

12:20 PM

The obligation to pay the loan gets discharged, but the lien remains.

12:21 PM

This means the lender cannot try to collect what is owed, but if the debtor stops paying the loan, the lender can take the car.

Customer:

then how do you remove the lien?

Customer:

Oh nevermind. So they can't call us anymore and we can still pay a little on it at a time until the balance is paid off, correct?

cfortunato :

You cannot remove a title loan lien without paying off the title loan.

cfortunato :

You have to continue paying the title loan as agreed, or the lender can take the car.

cfortunato :

They cannot call you for the money, but they can take the car.

cfortunato :

That is, if you file a Bankruptcy they can no longer call you, but they can still take the car.

Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.

If you file a Bankruptcy, they cannot call you for the money if you are not making the payments, but unfortunately they can take the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does ch7 cost? Average?
Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
The filing fee is $306. If your income is below a certain level, you can file for free. Otherwise, you can pay the filing fee in 4 installments.
If you want to use an attorney, Bankruptcy attorneys charge around $1,200 to fill out and file the papers. Or you can pay a Bankruptcy preparer around $200 to fill out the papers, and then you can file them yourself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So when you file Chapter 7, where does ones credit score begin at? However, it can't be any worse than it is now.

Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
After filing a Bankruptcy, if there is no further negative activity, one's credit score starts to improve in approximately one year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Great! However, does it start at like 400 450 etc.

Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
Yes - that is correct. And you can expect it to increase by around 50 points per year. The increase is a slow, gradual increase. (Fast on the way down, and slow on the way up.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's about right. Hahaha. So is there a MEANS test that we can look at?

Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
Yes - here is the Means Test:
http://www.bankruptcyaction.com/Chapter_7_Means_Test_Calculator.php.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Now what if he don't do re-affirmation of the truck that is leased? is that an automatic surrender?

Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
Re-affirmation is not required to keep a truck. If you want to keep a vehicle, you just have to continue to make the regular monthly truck loan or title loan payments.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here is where I am confused. Can we not include the truck in bankruptcy like we do the credit card debt etc.

Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
A vehicle loan is different from credit card debt. A vehicle loan is secured (by the vehicle), and credit card debt is not secured.
Both vehicle loans and credit card debts get discharged in a Bankruptcy, but because a vehicle loan is secured, the lender can take the vehicle if you stop paying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks. I'm really sorry. This is mind boggling.

Expert:  cfortunato replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome!

It takes time to understand this stuff. (I also had trouble in the beginning.)
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy professor.