WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

My bankruptcy is due to be heard in early July. My attorney

My bankruptcy is due to be heard in early July. My attorney seems good. But I just want to double check something.
I used to breed show dogs. One couple, purchased two puppies from me for $3000.00. they later claimed the pups had genetic problems such as hip dysplasia . The small claims court judge decided in their favor and a judgement was issued for 2100.00. I had previously paid 900.00 until buyer said he wanted 1500.00 more.
These people are listed in the petition, however I am worried about them suing me for something else related to the dog issue. Will the bankruptcy take care of any future harrasment by these people. Thanks for your time.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

This is a common issue, once you list the creditors, they cannot come back against you for a future lawsuit, it would be a violation of Federal law.

WALLSTREETESQ :

the cause of action would not be allowed, any claims that may have happened prior to the bankruptcy filing would not be allowed.

WALLSTREETESQ :

They can only sue you for damages that happened after discharge.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So after the discharge could they sue for either dogs subsequent illness, their own grief, experienced because of this 3 year long experience, fraud or anything else. These people are "happy sue(rs). The pups were 10 weeks old when they were sold. I had no prior knowledge this would occur.

no, since the sale happened prior to the bankruptcy case. Once you list them as creditors, they cannot come back and sue you, they should have done this prior to your bankruptcy.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So they cannot come back and sue me for anything, even things not related to the bankruptcy. Thanks again

They can only sue you for issues that came up after the bankruptcy, that are not related, not for anything related to the dogs, since the sale happened prior to your filing.