cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

In Mass. When filing bankruptcy, can you include a default

In Mass. When filing bankruptcy, can you include a default judgement or are these protected ?

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Yes - default judgments (and regular judgments) can be dismissed in a Bankruptcy.

cfortunato :

If a creditor has already gotten a judgment for its debt, both the debt and the judgment get discharged.

Customer:

Thanks for your fast answer! Are you a Mass Atty? What are the fees for filing?

I think I am in over my head, I have tried not to do this - but at this point may not have a choice.

cfortunato :

The fee for filing a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy (the most common type) is $306, which can be paid in installments.

cfortunato :

No - I do not practice in MA. (But would not be allowed to represent you even if I did practice in MA.)

cfortunato :

cfortunato :

Additionally, you can pay a Bankruptcy attorney around $1,200 to fill out and file the papers, or you can pay a Bankruptcy preparer around $200 to fill out the papers, and then you can file them yourself.

Customer:

ok, this is excellent info, thank you so much!

You're welcome!