Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

( ILLINOIS ) If I have a judgement on my house and I file bankruptcy

( ILLINOIS ) If I have a judgement on my house and I file bankruptcy will that take care of the judgement also, or are judgements not something you can file bankruptcy on ? Thank You in advance!!!
Could you explain a little more?
What is the Judgment for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
in 2005 I was in a bad semi crash, my landlord at the time let my rent go and I could pay him later after my settlement, problem being is he had me draw up a piece of paper showing our agreement. I was on 3 different pain med's all narcotics and I signed this agreement that I would pay in return the rent money PLUS 100% interest. Their was other deals we made at the same time, at the same interest, kind of like a loan shark if you ask me. So I never paid him now several years later he is taking me to court his lawyer is threatening a judgement on my house, I own my house 100%....so this is where my question comes from.. I was on disability for 7yrs.....all of this taken place in 2006 and he's just now taking me to court.
Thank you for the clarification. I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when you responded to my information request:
Question: ( ILLINOIS ) If I have a judgement on my house and I file bankruptcy will that take care of the judgement also, or are judgements not something you can file bankruptcy on ? Thank You in advance!!!
Response: Yes, you can file bankruptcy on the judgment. Your bankruptcy would take care of the judgment. Also and more importantly, once you file for bankruptcy protection, the lawsuit cannot continue. However, you need to notify the Court and the Attorney representing the Landlord of the bankruptcy filing. So, if you file for bankruptcy protection, you need to send a Notice of the Bankruptcy Case Filing to the Court and to the Attorney representing the Landlord so that the lawsuit can be stopped.