Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I filed for bankruptcy in April of 2012 and it is now close

Customer Question

I filed for bankruptcy in April of 2012 and it is now close to being discharged. I owe on my income taxes for 2012 and wonder if I could petition someone for the release of funds previously given to the trustee for payment of the taxes.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Are you in a chapter 7 or chapter 13?
If you are in a chapter 13, you can petition the court to modify the chapter 13 plan to suspend payments (so you can use the money instead for your taxes) It will depend on the current plan though. They won't return funds from chapter 13, as they are disbursed to creditors.

Are you in chapter 7? IF the trustee took funds or liquidated an asset, you would unlikely get any back, as that asset is used to pay your creditors.

Give me a little more info and I can provide a more detailed answer.