Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Can taxes owed be discharged in bankruptcy?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.
Kirk Adams : What type of taxes are you referring to? Real estate taxes, income taxes, etc.?
Customer: regular income tax
Kirk Adams : Ok. Thanks.
Kirk Adams : It is possible that income taxes can be discharged IF the following requirements are met:
Kirk Adams : 1.The due date for filing a tax return is at least three years ago.2.The tax return was filed at least two years ago. 3.The tax assessment is at least 240 days old. 4.The tax return was not fraudulent. 5.The taxpayer is not guilty of tax evasion.
Kirk Adams : This is outlined and discussed at the following link: http://taxes.about.com/od/bankruptcy/qt/bankruptcy_tax.htm
Customer: ok thanks
Kirk Adams : Sure. Glad to help.
Kirk Adams : The link also outlines hiw each of the 5 elements applies.