How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have tenant who has not paid past due rent and security deposit.

This answer was rated:

I have tenant who has not paid past due rent and security deposit. I have filed eviction and he has now filed bankruptcy. I want him out and his past due rent, what can I do to speed the process?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Once the bankruptcy is filed, you can't proceed until you file a motion to lift the automatic stay and get a court order from the bankruptcy judge allowing you to proceed.

Once the stay is lifted, you can go forward with the eviction.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I file a motion to lift the stay with the magistrate court?
No, the motion to lift the automatic stay is filed with the bankruptcy court. Here's a sample motion:

I didn't find one for GA, but federal law is the same on this issue, so the form should be ok as a go-by. If you get an attorney to do this for you, he/she will handle it correctly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The link doesn't work and I can't afford an attorney (why I'm here). But,I think this gives me enough info to go to the courthouse tomorrow and find what I need.
Hi - I found this link that is a sample motion for relief from stay regarding a leased premises that you can review and use as a go by:

I hope this helps.
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 3 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to send you a draft of the request for relief. I used PACER and found that this guy has committed felony perjury based on the lease I have with him and his Bankruptcy filing. I found a motion for relief in one of his previous cases and used it as a draft. I just want your opinion, I am not employing you as my lawyer, just asking for advice. I'd rather not post my motion publicly.



Unfortunately, we can only communicate here - - and as you know, this is public. Thus, I couldn't review the document in a private manner.

However, if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, for some reason my message back is getting rejected


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

try this:

I can't open the link. It's just a sign in page, but I don't have an account.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



COMES NOW the Movant, ---S INC, to show the court as follows:



This is a motion under Sections 362(???) of the Bankruptcy Code for relief from the existing stay for the purpose of possession of residential property under lease.



--- (hereinafter “Debtor”) filed this proceeding under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy code on May 8, 2013, and has ABANDONED the property located at---, FOREST PARK, GA 30297. A copy of said Lease is attached as (Exhibit “A”). Movant is attaching (Exhibit “B”) from Section 14 of Debtors filing, that shows the Debtor stated he did not control property owned by others. Movant also submits that per Schedule G (Exhibit “C”), Debtor again states he has no unexpired leases. Debtor lists under Section 13. B (Exhibit “D”), that he has debtor’s rents. It is unclear how one can claim he controls no property, yet has debtor lists rent as an expense. Movant has also attached the property record for the address listed on Debtor’s filing, (Exhibit “E”), based on the alone document, Movant gathers that Debtor does not own said property, nor reside at property owned by Movant that is leased to Debtor.



WHEREFORE, Movant respectfully requests:

That this court terminate the automatic stay of Bankruptcy code Section 362 (???) to the extent that the automatic stay enjoins and restrains Movant from its rights under the term of lease. The terms of the lease state that the Debtor is to occupy the property and pay rent due. The Debtor has abandoned the property by means of taking residence at --- (Exhibit “E”), the same address listed on the creditor filing. Movant also prays that the court grant absolute exemption from all future bankruptcy claims of Debtor based on Debtors past history of multiple filings over the last decade..



As of 5/22/2013 the Debtor is in arrears of $2719.00 for rent, security deposit, legal and investigative fees. Movant shows that good cause exists for granting Movant relief from the automatic stay due to loss of income from an abandoned property, and right to collect said debt.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, I think i sent it twice - I'm trying to determine the specific code for a property under lease violation or perjury violation.

Section 362 is the proper section to seek relief from the automatic stay.

I don't know that there's a specific bankruptcy code section for a lease violation. I'll see if I can find something on perjury.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perjury would be the best to find, I think that would then automatically support lease violation for eviction.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What did you think of the draft? Am I going to get laughed out of court? Also, considering the you think I should retain a lawyer, or would a letter to the trustee and the judge with my proof of perjury suffice? It's solid proof in my opinion, and i think I can get neighbors testimony if necessary.

Here's the US Code section for perjury:

I don't find a rule specific to bankruptcy proceedings, so I think this is it as it applies to federal proceedings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i'm filing a motion with the bankruptcy court, Wouldn't I need to state some violation of the code of bankruptcy for relief? ? As that is my ultimate goal, to be relieved of the inability to collect the debt and continue eviction.

Perjury is a crime, so I think this would apply. It's the only one I find.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.
  • Paul K, Esq.'s Avatar

    Paul K, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years Exp., Great customer service, Prompt responses.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions