Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

"liens to follow proceeds" what does this phrase mean?

"liens to follow proceeds"
what does this phrase mean?

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

Can you provide the full context?

Terry L. :

I see that you are offline. I'll change this to Q&A and await your response.

Terry L. :

I'll follow up once Received.
Thanks
Terry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy case, a document titled: "TRUSTEE'S APPLICATION TO SELL PROPERTY OF THE ESTATE FREE AND CLEAR OF ALL LIENS, CLAIMS AND ENCUMBRANCES WITH LIENS TO FOLLOW PROCEEDS AND NOTICE TO CREDITORS"

Item 4 states: Liens, if any, will follow proceeds. Trustee is not aware of any liens.

The property being sold is real estate, which has a bank note with the property as security.

This means that the trustee is going to sell property. If there is a secured lien, such as a mortgage, that will be paid, then the trustee will use the proceeds to pay the unsecured creditors in the chapter 7 case. It's just a blanket statement, that's all. Any further questions?