WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

The Michigan Homestead exemption reads: Real property including

Customer Question

The Michigan Homestead exemption reads:
Real property including condo to $35,300, $52,925 if elderly or disabled; property cannot exceed 1 lot in town, village, city, or 40 acres elsewhere; spouse or children of deceased owner may claim homestead exemption. Spouses or unmarried co-owners may not double.

I need to know what is the definition of "elderly" in order to be eligible for the $52,925.00 exemption?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

Under the Michigan exemption system, each homeowner and his or her dependents may exempt up to $35,300 of his or her interest in his or her home or other property covered by the homestead exemption. If the homeowner is age 65 or older or is disabled, the exemption amount is $52,925.

Customer:

Thank you

WALLSTREETESQ :

REVISED JUDICATURE ACT OF 1961 (EXCERPT)
Act 236 of 1961

600.5451 Bankruptcy; exemptions from property of estate; exception; exempt property sold, damaged, destroyed, or acquired for public use; amounts adjusted by state treasurer; definitions.

Sec. 5451.

(

(m) The interest of the debtor, the codebtor, if any, and the debtor's dependents, not to exceed $30,000.00 in value or, if the debtor or a dependent of the debtor at the time of the filing of the bankruptcy petition is 65 years of age or older or disabled, not to exceed $45,000.00 in value, in a homestead.

(n) Property described in section 1 of 1927 PA 212, MCL 557.151, or real property, held jointly by a husband and wife as a tenancy by the entirety, except that this exemption does not apply with regard to a claim based on a joint debt of the husband and wife.

(o) If the owner of a homestead dies, leaving a surviving spouse but no children, the surviving spouse before his or her remarriage, unless the surviving spouse is the owner of a homestead in his or her own right, may exempt the homestead and the rents and profits of the homestead.

(2) An exemption under this section does not apply to a mortgage, lien, or security interest in the exempt property that is consensually given or lawfully obtained unless the lien is obtained by judgment, attachment, levy, or similar legal process in connection with a court action or proceeding against the debtor.

(3) If property that is exempt under this section is sold, damaged, destroyed, or acquired for public use, the right to receive proceeds or, if the owner receives proceeds and holds them in a manner that makes them identifiable as proceeds, the proceeds received are exempt from the property of a federal bankruptcy estate in the same manner and amount as the exempt property. An exemption under this subsection may be claimed up to 1 year after the receipt of the proceeds by the owner.

(4) On March 1, 2005 and at the end of each 3-year period after 2005, the state treasurer shall adjust each dollar amount in this section or, for each adjustment after March 1, 2005, each adjusted amount, by an amount determined by the state treasurer to reflect the cumulative change in the consumer price index for the 3-year period ending on the December 31 preceding the adjustment date and rounded to the nearest $25.00. The state treasurer shall publish the adjusted amounts. The adjusted amounts apply to cases filed on or after April 1 following the adjustment date.

(5) As used in this section:

(a) "Consumer price index" means the consumer price index for all urban consumers in the area of Detroit-Ann Arbor-Flint, Michigan, published by the United States department of labor or, if the United States department of labor ceases publishing that index, the most similar index available.

(b) "Disabled" means unable to engage in substantial gainful activity, as defined by 42 USC 1382c(a)(3)(E), as a result of a physical or mental impairment and receiving supplemental security income under 42 USC 1382c(a)(3)(A) and (C).

(c) "Proceeds" means money payable or paid as a result of 1 or more of the following:

(i) Sale of the property.

(ii) Insurance or other indemnification for damage or destruction of the property.

(iii) Compensation for the acquisition for public use of the property.

(d) "Homestead" means 1 of the following owned or being purchased under an executory contract by the debtor that the debtor or a dependent of the debtor occupies as his or her principal residence:

(i) If the land is located outside of a recorded plat, city, or village, a residential dwelling and appurtenances and the land on which they are situated, not exceeding 40 acres.

(ii) If the land is located within a recorded plat, city, or village, a residential dwelling and appurtenances and the land on which they are situated, not exceeding 1 lot or parcel.

(iii) A residential dwelling situated on land not owned by the debtor.

(iv) A condominium unit.

(v) A unit in a cooperative.

(vi) A motor home.

(vii) A boat or other watercraft.

(e) "Residential dwelling" includes, but is not limited to, a house or a manufactured or mobile home.

WALLSTREETESQ :

The law above is the original exemption law in MI,

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS