WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I need to file bankruptcy on my own. My debts are primarily

I need to file bankruptcy on my own. My debts are primarily medical, about 80% the remainder personal debts. I do not have a job, have three children and have a medical condition for which I need another surgery. I do not have money for that surgery or to pay for my former surgery.

I am married but my husband is not willing to pay the bills which are billed to me personally. Is it possible that I file my own bankruptcy in the State of Georgia, without an attorney? My only asset is a partially wrecked automobile. Also. I want to make sure that my husband's credit is not affected.

I need to enlist the help of a bankruptcy attorney to answer my questions. I will have more as I go along.

Thank you,
Donna
Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

Since you are unemployed, and your debts are medical a simple chapter 7 bankruptcy should not be a problem, the only issue you will have is that you have to include all household income, so you will have to include your spouses income in your petition.

You do not have to list his name or social security number so his credit would not be hurt by your filing.

I would suggest you use a low fee paralegal service to prepare your petition, these companies charge a low rate $200 or less for the service, companies such as legalzoom, offer this service, and many others can be found on the internet.

If you want to do this yourself, go to the bankruptcy court website, and you will find all the forms needed.

http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees/Forms/BankruptcyForms.aspx

The link above have all the forms you will need.

Also, be aware if your spouses income is high over $50,000 you may have too much household income to qualify for a chapter 7, so you need to review your State income requirements and exemptions.

http://www.thebankruptcysite.org/exemptions/georgia.html

You can find these at the link above.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I go about hiring a paralegal in Marietta GA? Thank you

GEORGIA PARALEGAL SERVICES Incorporated
0 Reviews
Opens on Wednesday at 9 am | Hours
(770) 696-4024 paralegalinc.com
5252 Ernest W Barrett Pky Nw, Ste 78, Marietta, GA 30064
Cross Streets: Between GA-360 and Arbor Spring Ct SW

The above is one company I found, you can also look in the local paper as well