Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
15345323

If a person has discussed filing for chapter 7 with an atty

If a person has discussed filing for chapter 7 with an atty immediately before buying expensive new cars, expensive vacations and paying off a non-relatives debts, etc., are they subject to finding of fraud and even rejection of the bankruptcy?
Who would information of such activity be communicated?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

The creditors could object, and during an adversary proceeding, they could ask if you met with an attorney prior to doing those things.

Terry L. :

Creditors can object for recent usage, especially luxury purchases.

Terry L. :

The US Trustee can object if they feel the filing is an abuse of the process based on the information in the case.

Customer:

I am not the one filing for bankruptcy...it is someone who was bragging about it in my and others prsence.

Terry L. :

I see

Terry L. :

If you know of false information in the bankruptcy case (or lack of information too) you can write a letter to the trustee to inform them.

Customer:

So we should not contact the creditors who were duped, just advise the Trustee?

Terry L. :

Yes, the US Trustee would be the correct people to contact if you are aware of potential fraud or other issues in a case.

Terry L. :

Let me get you the contact

Terry L. :

1sec

Terry L. :

Is this a Chicago case?

Customer:

yes

Terry L. :

Office of The United States Trustee

219 S. Dearborn Street

Room 873

Chicago, IL 60604

Link to Map

Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Terry L. :

This site is the bankruptcy fraud section

Terry L. :

hope that helps

Terry L. :

Hope it's not one of my clients!!

Terry L. :

Did you have any other questions?

Customer:

Thank you. Appreciate your assistance. Appalling that someone thinks it is such a feather in their cap to misuse bankruptcy to get out of paying for what they did not need but will keep as exempt property if they succeed.

Customer:

I don't think so but then I don't know what firm you are with...LOL

Customer:

Thanks again! Excellent!

Terry L. :

It's people like you that keep the system working the way it should.
the US Trustee will investigate the matter and will take if from there.

Terry L., Attorney
Experience: Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar