cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

I am a landlord in Ramsey county. A former tenant owes back

I am a landlord in Ramsey county. A former tenant owes back rent and has since filed for Ch 7 bankruptcy and listed me as a creditor. I was unable to attend the "meeting of creditors" due to work commitments. What steps do I need to take to collect the money she owes me? and what are my chances of actually collecting ANY money from her?

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Creditors rarely show up for the Creditors Meeting, as in most cases there is no reason for them to do so.

Customer:

OK, this is my first time dealing with a bankruptcy so I have no idea what I need to do

cfortunato :

If there is an any money available to pay creditors, you will be notified.

Customer:

Do i need to file anything with the bankruptcy court?

cfortunato :

Unfortunately, in most Chapter 7 cases there is no money paid to creditors.

Customer:

That is what i was afraid of

Customer:

Also, I assume the $ she owes me will be low on the priority list to pay back...

Customer:

Basically, I just need to know if there is anything I should be doing, or do I just need to wait for the court to determine if there is any money to be paid??

cfortunato :

It looks like there was a temporary problem with the website.

cfortunato :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

Basically, I just need to know if there is any action I should be taking, or if I just need to wait for the court to determine if any money is available to be paid??

Customer:

I think we are having a connection problem...

cfortunato :

Thank you for your patience.

cfortunato :

There is nothing for you to do now.

cfortunato :

If the Bankruptcy trustee determines there is any money to distribute to creditors, you will then be notified.

cfortunato :

You will be told to submit a Proof of Claim form, which is usually sent with the notification. (If not, you can easily download one.)

cfortunato :

If you are not notified to submit a Proof of Claim form, then there will be nothing that you have to do.

cfortunato :

(Not being notified to submit a Proof of Claim form also means there will be no money available.)

Customer:

Great, thank you for you time. You have been very helpful and I will rate accordingly.

cfortunato :

You're welcome!

cfortunato :

And thank you again for your patience!