cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

Due to the exorbitant medical bills, could I file for bankruptcy

Due to the exorbitant medical bills, could I file for bankruptcy on all the bills that are unsecured? What would this do to my credit rating? Would it cost me a lot to file for only that portion of a bankrupcy?

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

1) Yes - you can file a Bankruptcy to have your unsecured debts - including medical bills - discharged.

Customer:

Effect on my future credit rating, and what kind of cost am I looking at?

cfortunato :

However, when you file a Bankruptcy, you have to include all your debts in the Bankruptcy paperwork. This means that all your debts will be discharged - secured and unsecured, but you can continue to pay any debts you want to pay.

Customer:

Is this advice part of my free trial or is my credit card going to be charged?

cfortunato :

2) The effect on your credit rating will depend on what your credit rating is before you file. If your credit rating is high, you can expect it to decrease by approximately 200 points. If your credit rating is currently low, you can expect it to decrease by approximately 100 points.

cfortunato :

I don't know how JustAnswer billing works.

cfortunato :

3) The fee to file a Bankruptcy is $306. If your income is below a certain level, you can have the $306 fee waived, so that you do not have to pay it.

cfortunato :

You can also arrange to pay the fee in installments.

Customer:

Is each state different on bankruptcy laws. You do not believe you can separate secured from unsecured?

cfortunato :

To find out about JustAnswer billing, you can send an email to Customer Service [email protected]

cfortunato :

Bankruptcy is a federal program, so the process is the same for each state.

cfortunato :

You have to include the information for every debt you owe, but you can continue to pay any debts you want - including all secured debts.

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know.
Thank you.