How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JoeLawyer Your Own Question

JoeLawyer, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 767
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JoeLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We need to find financing for $14,500 to pay a tractor note

Customer Question

We need to find financing for $14,500 to pay a tractor note off so they do not reposess it. We have an active Chapter 13 bankruptcy but this was not included in it. The bank does not want to refinance. Any suggestions as to some financing company that may be willing to accommidate us?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 2 years ago.

I am not aware of a specific company that would do financing, though you can certainly try calling every finance company in town to see if someone will.

A more likely solution would be to add the tractor to the Chapter 13 Plan. This usually stops the bank from repossessing the collateral so long as the debtor can pay the collateral off plus interest (usually around 4.25%) over the remaining term of the Plan.

So, for example, if you are 20 months into a 60-month Chapter 13 Plan, then to pay $14,500 over the remaining 40 months at 4.25% interest would increase the Plan payment amount by around $409 per month. You can go HERE to plug in the principal balance and interest over however long you have left in your Plan, then add 5% or 7% on, to get a rough idea of how much the Plan would have to go up to cover it. I say to add on another 5% or 7% since you have to pay Trustee fees on anything paid through the Plan, and they are usually around that amount (your attorney will know). So, $14,500 over 40 months at 4.25% interest results in a payment of $389.42 per month, and adding on 5% of $389.42 to the payment pushes it up to about $409 per month.

If the Plan has not been confirmed yet, you can often make changes by simply filing an Amended Chapter 13 Plan. If the Plan has been confirmed, then you typically have to file a Motion to Modify the Plan to get court permission to make changes. Either way, one of these approaches normally work to make changes to the Plan.

However, there are a few things that can cause a Plan amendment not to work. For example, if the creditor has already asked the court for permission to repossess (called a Motion for Relief from Stay) and that permission has been granted (Order Granting Motion for Relief from Stay), you may have a tough time going in after-the-fact and trying to force the creditor to get paid through the Plan (though I have sometimes been able to get courts to do this even after the court granted relief to the creditor).

Another glitch could be if the collateral was purchased AFTER the Chapter 13 was filed, in which case you normally can't force a post-bankruptcy creditor into the Chapter 13 Plan (though maybe in your district you can, you would have to ask your attorney).

Another hurdle is whether you can convince the court that the collateral is reasonable and necessary. If the court thinks the collateral is not reasonable and necessary for your financial survival, the court may not let you put it in the Plan. For example, trying to put recreational boats and campers in a Plan usually doesn't work unless you also agree to pay unsecured creditors all of what you owe them. A tractor could go either way: if you own a farm or have a lot of land that needs taken care of, it might be necessary. But, if you use it to pull a float in the parade once a year, maybe not. You also have to show you can afford the increase in the Plan payment.

Another issue could be if you have some prior agreement with the creditor to pay the collateral outside of the Plan. If you and the bank made some agreement in your Chapter 13 that they would be paid directly, then the court may not let you go back in and modify that agreement now (though sometimes the court will even if you did have an agreement).

I suggest you talk to your lawyer about Plan modification and see if it will work for you if you are unable to find a company willing to refinance.

I apologize this answer does not specifically answer your question about who would refinance for you, but that is not something I can answer since banks base their decisions on a whole host of information I don't have so it is not something that anyone can answer with much conviction. I suppose if you own a farming operation you might be able to go to the SBA or the FSA to get a loan, but again I'm sure that would depend on criteria I am not privy to. And, if the bank that currently has the loan isn't willing to refi, then odds are not good that some other bank will want to come in and pick up the same risk without also massively increasing your interest rate, which I why I suggest you look into Plan modification as an alternative.

Good luck,

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Funds I receive from are gratuities paid to me for taking the time to respond to questions, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. JoeLawyer is an attorney but does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) JoeLawyer. All rights reserved.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.