Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

How much does a bankruptcy usually cost?

Kirk Adams : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney.

im sorry I just realised i put the wrong state It's suppose to missouri

Kirk Adams : A chapter 7 is the cheapest form of bankruptcy, and it usually can be done for around $500 for a simple bankruptcy.

ok how do i know if i should file?

Kirk Adams : You can take the means test to see if you qualify for chapter 7. There are several online, including ones like the following:
Kirk Adams : As for howe decide this, the main factor is whether you have more monthly payments or debts to pay than income. However, if there are obligations that you can get rid of the create more cashflow, you may want to try that for a few months to see if that would allow you to continue on without needing to file.

Kirk Adams : Filing bankruptcy should be the last resort after you've tried to cut back and see if you can make things work withotu havingn to file.

yeah i understand but it has come down to it for me

Kirk Adams : Ok. In that case, you should consider consulting a local attorney about filing bankruptcy for you. You can search for an attrney in your area at

ok thank you

Kirk Adams : Once you go to the site, you can click "Find a Lawyer of Law Firm" and then put in your search criteria.