Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

My husband went through a chapter 7 bankruptcy last April.

Customer Question

My husband went through a chapter 7 bankruptcy last April. Prior to the bankruptcy, he applied for refinancing with Chase. Chase approved the refinancing last week and we were to complete paperwork today with a notary. Chase called yesterday to cancel todays paperwork closure saying my husband was behind on March's payment, although it had been mailed. We had been up to date on mortgage payments until this happened. Is this going to be a major issue-foreclosure? We have the money for payments. My name is XXXXX XXXXX deed/title to the house but not on the mortgage note, and I did not file bankruptcy. What can we do? Please help.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 3 years ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

IF you get the payment in, and stay current, you may need to reapply for the refinance.

Terry L. :

The bank is usually pretty sticky on making sure payments are made and made timely when working with refinances post-bankrutpcy.

Terry L. :

Go ahead and re-apply.

Terry L. :

If they are unwilling to do it, you can always go to another bank as well, though many want debtors to be out of bankruptcy for two years first, but not all.

Terry L. :

thanks for your question, good luck. let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer :

Can they foreclose on our home with just one payment missed but it was mailed to them.

Terry L. :

no judge would foreclose if you are current