WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

My tenant filed bankrupcy. In the same time I filed an eviction

My tenant filed bankrupcy. In the same time I filed an eviction for unpaid rent (2 months). What is going to happen now. Will it put a stay in the eviction? Will my tenant going to stay free of rent? This is in Houston, TX.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If your tenant filed bankruptcy, that would stay the eviction, however, if he wants to remain in the apartment he would have to pay rent for each month,

WALLSTREETESQ :

You'll need to go to the federal bankruptcy court and ask the judge to "lift," or remove, the automatic stay before you can evict the tenant. In most cases, you'll get the stay lifted within a matter of days and then you can proceed with your termination and eviction.

WALLSTREETESQ :

That is if you have won a Judgment already,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if you did not win your case and and Order was not granted giving you possession,

Customer:

But right now he is 2 months late. Do I have to wait until his bankruptcy court day to do something? That might be in another 2 months or more.

WALLSTREETESQ :

you would have to file a motion to remove the automatic stay in bankruptcy court,

WALLSTREETESQ :

and if the tenant does not pay the rent, you can evict.

WALLSTREETESQ :

No, you should file a motion to lift the automatic stay in bankruptcy court now,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you may want to use the help of a local bankruptcy attorney

Customer:

So I dont have to wait until his court day. I can move forward now with the help of a local lawyer.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Yes, you can have an attorney file it in court now

Customer:

In general, judge agree to lift the stay ? Is there some circumstances where the judge would not allow it?

WALLSTREETESQ :

If the tenant is behind two months in rent and will not pay rent for the following month, the Judge will lift the stay, as if he did not, the tenant could be living their rent free for 3-9 more months.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Since he is behind two months already, you should claim a financial hardship

Customer:

Thank you.

WALLSTREETESQ :

good luck,

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS