cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.

I am declaring chapter 13 bankruptcy. I just found out I am

I am declaring chapter 13 bankruptcy. I just found out I am a beneficiary of my uncles
Will. I have no idea how much or when or anything. What will happen to my inheritance?

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

1) Have you lived in Indiana continuously for the past 2 1/2 years? If not, where have you lived for the past 2 1/2 years?

cfortunato :

2) Have you already filed a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?

Customer: I have lived in Indiana for 30 years . No , it's ready and my attorney is ready to file on Monday . I have one lawsuit against me,
Customer: which gives me limited time to file
cfortunato :

Thank you for your response.

cfortunato :

You are allowed to keep approximately $10,000 worth of miscellaneous property - including an int inheritance.

cfortunato :

In most cases, a Bankruptcy will have the same affect on a lawsuit, regardless of when the Bankruptcy is filed. Of course, you should discuss this with your Bankruptcy attorney, but it may be a good idea to postpone the filing until you get a better idea of how much your inheritance is worth.

Customer: Okay thank you
cfortunato :

You're welcome!

cfortunato :

And please have a pleasant evening!