Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

If a debtor living in Florida whos home is a boat valued at

If a debtor living in Florida who's home is a boat valued at $25,000 be able to protect that asset with homestead exemption?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. I am Florida licensed attorney. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

A boat will typically qualify as homestead property if the boat is permanently affixed to real property. If the boat is seaworthy and/or not permanently docked, the boat would qualify only for the $4000 wildcard exemption

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you define "permanently affixed to real property".

My pleasure to clarify

"Permanently affixed to real property" means that the boat is not movable. It is permanently docked and not seaworthy. It has utilities. If the boat is in condition to be moved, even if a "houseboat", the courts have held that is is not eligible for homestead protection.