dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

Can the IRS still collect on a student loan that was discharged

Can the IRS still collect on a student loan that was discharged in a chapter 7 in 1995? The Student loan dept. reported it as 1099c income in 2009.
A federal judge signed the order permitting the discharge in 1995.
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.

please note that a judge does not enter a discharge for a particular debt but instead enters a general discharge that applies to all dischargeable debts. that is debts that are dischargeable by law. and in 1995, as it is now, student loans are not dischargeable. the part that you are struggling with as, like a foreclosure that is listed and discharged, the bak issues a 1099 for the amount of money that they did not collect. and yes the its can seek collection of this debt.