WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I am in Ch 7 in California. I have a car pymt that was used

I am in Ch 7 in California. I have a car pymt that was used for means test. My comment period ends this week.

I have not signed the reaffirmation agreement but may want to give back the car b/c it is upside down by 10-15k.

What happens if I decide not to keep the car after my discharge?
Do I have a period of time by which to return the car?
Will I be responsible for condition or missing items?
Will giving it back change my means qualification?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  WALLSTREETESQ replied 1 year ago.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you listed the car note in your bankruptcy

WALLSTREETESQ :

it would be discharged, and the lender would have to take the car as it is,

WALLSTREETESQ :

they will have to make arrangements with you to take the car,

WALLSTREETESQ :

you will not incur any extra charges, as they were discharged in the bankruptcy

WALLSTREETESQ :

By giving it back, it would not change your means test qualifications,

WALLSTREETESQ :

your expenses are determined by the date you filed your petition.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask,

WALLSTREETESQ :

If satisfied by our service please provide us with positive feedback.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Thank you

WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience: 14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
WALLSTREETESQ : Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on
WALLSTREETESQ : If you listed the car note in your bankruptcy
WALLSTREETESQ : it would be discharged, and the lender would have to take the car as it is,
WALLSTREETESQ : they will have to make arrangements with you to take the car,
WALLSTREETESQ : you will not incur any extra charges, as they were discharged in the bankruptcy
WALLSTREETESQ : By giving it back, it would not change your means test qualifications,
WALLSTREETESQ : your expenses are determined by the date you filed your petition.
WALLSTREETESQ : If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask,
WALLSTREETESQ : If satisfied by our service please provide us with positive feedback.
WALLSTREETESQ : Thank you