Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

If a recovey agency has a court order to take possession of

If a recovey agency has a court order to take possession of a specific item, can a filling of bankruptcy stop the recovery?

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

A bankruptcy filing if done before the taking of the property will stop all collections,

a bankruptcy filling gives the debtor an automatic stay, which prohibits any collections or garnishments of a debtors property without court permission.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the agency required to give a prior notice before taking the property?

typically they would have to provide notice, however if you file a bankruptcy, the debtor has to provide notice to them of the filling to stop any collections.