cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

My former spouse opened a credit card in my name while I was

My former spouse opened a credit card in my name while I was stationed overs seas back in 1996. she was the only consumer of this account and when we divorced in 2006 she assume all responsibility for the debt. In 2007 she claimed bankruptcy and this debt was included in the proceedings. In 2009 I disputed the debt on my credit report and it was removed by trans union. Currently I am recieving call from "Oxford Law Firm stating that I need to pay them. My question is: Am I liable for this debt?

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy and Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Given the information your provided, you cannot be held liable for this credit card debt - for a number of reasons:

cfortunato :

1) You did not open the account; and

cfortunato :

2) The debt is too old to legally (in court) collect as the Statute of Limitations for credit card debt is 4 years in Pennsylvania.

cfortunato :

If you receive another call from this law firm, you can tell them that you know they cannot legally collect this debt as it is too old. (This is easier than trying to prove that your ex-wife did not have permission to open an account in your name.)