Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

can I put house and car in with my bankruptcy

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Bankruptcy litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Bankruptcy affects all of your property and assets, so it would include your house and car. However, there are ways to try and keep your property by reaffirming the debt (in a chapter 7) or through a payment plan (in a chapter 13). OR, you can discharge these debts and give up the collateral if you choose.

What chapter of bankruptcy are you filing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

looking to file a chapter 13 as long as she does not lose her house or you suggest a different one?

Hi -

No, a chapter 13 is the best option if the person wants to keep all of her property. The Chapter 13 will just allow her to re-structure her payments to amounts that she can afford. Also, it is possible to cram down the payments on the car to present value, which would also allow the payments to be reduced. Here's a good link for that:

Her house payment can't be crammed down, but she can extend the payments to make the monthly obligation less.