Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar

Where does my net monthly income have to be in order to stay

Customer Question

Where does my net monthly income have to be in order to stay in a chapter 7?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 1 year ago.

Terry L. :

Hi, thanks for your question. You should hire a lawyer for specific legal advice. No attorney client relationship is created here.

Terry L. :

The court really focuses on 2 things with your budget.

Terry L. :

First: Monthly income minus normal monthly expenses should be close to zero

Terry L. :

Second, the court looks to the Means Test.
This is an analysis of the 6 months GROSS income before the case.

Terry L. :

They match that up to the median income level for the household size

Terry L. :

What state do you live in and how many people are in your household?

Customer :

I know that I meet the means testing. What I am wondering about is if there is a certain amount above which my chapter 7 would go to a 13. In other words, if I have $150 net, should I be concerned?

Terry L. :

Well, that depends on the amount of debt you have, and what percentage of the debt could be paid back with your disposable monthly income.

Customer :

Is there like a test for that?

Terry L. :

There is no set amount that would draw objection,

Terry L. :

but the rule of thumb is if there is enough to pay back 10% of the debt over 5 years, then you should be in a ch13

Terry L. :

Be sure to list all expenses that don't always occur each month too, pro -rate them

Terry L. :

like car insurance, school expenses for kids, car maintnenace, home repairs etc.

Terry L. :

Don't go crazy with these, but the court allows some since they are necessary

Terry L. :

the closer to zero the better

Terry L. :

be sure to include expenses for items you may reaffirm - furniture, jewelry, electronics etc. for your secured debts

Terry L. :

also student loan payments too can be listed

Terry L. :

There is no 'test' but I like to get my clients under $25 left at the end of the month to be safe

Terry L. :

$150 x60 would pay back $9k of debt in a ch13, so, that could be too much disposable.

Terry L. :

Of course, it's a case by case basis/totality of the circumstances.

Terry L. :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer :

No. Thanks!

Terry L. :

Feel free to request me if you do! thanks and good luck to you

Terry L. :

Terry

Terry L. :

please click accept so Just answer can close the question and I get credit for answering. thanks!
Terry