dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

Customer Question

I'm currently in a chapter 13 bankruptcy. My attorney advised against making student loan payments while in our plan. The company I have a private student loan through has apparently placed me in default, and my $26k balance is now $95k. Is there any room for negotiation with this company? I can't get any clear answers. I cannot afford the payment on the inflated balance. Interest and fees for the 3 year term of my bankruptcy are $70k? Any ideas on how to deal with this issue?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions. Why are you talking to customer service? Your attorney should file an objection to the claim that the lender has filed saying that you only owe the principal. Accordingly, you need to schedule an appointment with your attorney as this problem is an easy fix.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've talked to my attorney.he says he doesn't do student loan law.