Fritz
Fritz, Attorney
Experience:  Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
66229536

I received Form B9A. I am a creditor. How do I proceed to file

I received Form B9A. I am a creditor. How do I proceed to file a claim? I will be unable to attend the "meeting of creditors" scheduled as it's in another state. Thank you.

Fritz :

Hi, I'd like to assist you with your Bankruptcy questions this evening.

Customer:

thanks

Fritz :

Do you know where the case was filed (i.e. Northern, Middle, or Southern District of Florida)? Also, was it a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 Bankruptcy?

Customer:

Chapter 7 filed in Orlando Florida

Customer:

Middle

Fritz :

What kind of debt is this, or how was the debt incurred?

Fritz :

You do not need to attend the Meeting of Creditors (or "341 Meeting"). In fact, creditors rarely attend, as the Meeting of Creditors isn't the proper forum to make substantive challenges to Debtor's discharge or the discharge of the particular debt at issue (which is presumably why most creditors would want to attend).

Fritz :

You may want to file a Proof of Claim with the Bankruptcy Court. The form for this can be found here: http://www.uscourts.gov/uscourts/RulesAndPolicies/rules/BK_Forms_Current/B_010.pdf

Fritz :

Do you have any additional questions for me?

Customer:

Thanks......will start with the form you supplied.

Customer:

The debt was.....I am an independent contractor doing work for his company. The debt is expenses and my professional fee.

You may want to put down some or all of your claim as a Priority Claim (under No. 5) if you have the relevant "Wages, salaries, or commissions (up to $11,725) earned within 180 days before the case was filed or the debtor's business ceased, whichever is earlier - 11 U.S.C. § 507 (a)(4)."