WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

My bankruptcy attorney has gone out of business and just informed

My bankruptcy attorney has gone out of business and just informed me of it (thanks a lot). I have 8 months left to pay on a 36 month Plan. He sent another substitute lawyer my way. I feel betrayed, frankly. The lawyer is requiring me to fill out the same paperwork I filled out to pass the means test to begin with. It's a huge undertaking since I'm self-employed and have a highly varied income, and I don't want to do it. Can I just represent myself in these last months? I don't anticipate any big hearings or anything, because I haven't taken on any new debt, bought or sold anything substantial, and my mortgage payment has only changed by $17 since I began the plan payment. How hard is it to change over to just representing yourself and what issues would I face if I do that?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETESQ :

Since you have only 8 months left, you can represent yourself, and if your plan has payments for any attorney fees you can amend your schedules to remove those fees as well.

WALLSTREETESQ :

In terms of preparing the final paperwork, you can fill them out and file it with the Court or trustees office,

WALLSTREETESQ :

I am not sure why you have to complete a new means test at this point, and you should ask the attorney why this is requested,

Customer:

There are no attorney fees due. Will I have to go to a hearing to change to representing myself?

Customer:

I will do that, thank you

WALLSTREETESQ :

Also, you should have the attorney submit a letter to the Court stating he no longer represents you.

WALLSTREETESQ :

No, their is no Court appearance required,

Customer:

The attorney who has bailed on me?

WALLSTREETESQ :

he would file a motion to be removed if you do not want him to leave,

WALLSTREETESQ :

The attorney who bailed can be forced by the Court if you want to complete the matter,

WALLSTREETESQ :

if that is not the case no Court hearing is required.

Customer:

ok

Customer:

is it hard to fill out the final papers? I'm a literate educated person and don't have trouble writing.

WALLSTREETESQ :

I would first ask the attorney who requested these new forms and if the discharge is going to be an issue if these forms are not required.

Customer:

the substitute?

WALLSTREETESQ :

No, they are not complicated, you can do them yourself

WALLSTREETESQ :

Let me clarify,

WALLSTREETESQ :

These new forms may not be required by the bankruptcy court trustee,

WALLSTREETESQ :

You should ask the Attorney you had, to provide you the reason for these documents, and if the trustee requested them,

Customer:

ok

WALLSTREETESQ :

If the trustee requested them, you can fill out the forms, and send them directly to the trustee,

Customer:

ok

WALLSTREETESQ :

I would also go to the Bankruptcy clerks office, and ask them to help you complete them.

Customer:

You're speaking about the final forms when I'm about to be discharged?

Customer:

or the forms if the trustee has requested new forms on my case?

WALLSTREETESQ :

no the current forms given to you by the attorney,

Customer:

ok

WALLSTREETESQ :

Typically at this late stage all that is required is you make payments as per your plan,

Customer:

that's what I thought

WALLSTREETESQ :

I do not see why new forms were requested,

Customer:

the attorney may feel more comfortable representing me with those in place is all I can assume

Customer:

OK so in summary I have three options and 2 tasks:

Customer:

option 1: do the paperwork myself

Customer:

option 2: ask the court to require the former attorney to do the job

Customer:

option 3: go along with the new attorney but ask him why I need to fill out the paperwork

Customer:

and my tasks are

Customer:

1: find out if the trustee has required new paperwork

Customer:

2: find out what will be required to finish the plan

Customer:

is that correct?

Customer:

Are you still there?

Customer:

Are we done?

WALLSTREETESQ :

yes

Customer:

ok, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

WALLSTREETESQ :

As long as the attorney is still a licensed attorney in the State,