Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

At what income level can you file for chapter 7 bankruptcy

At what income level can you file for chapter 7 bankruptcy for a household of 2?

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

FiveStarLaw :

In Oklahoma?

FiveStarLaw :

I will assume that you are asking about an Oklahoma bankruptcy

In order to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy, you must pass a means test that compares your family income with the median income of the family of the same size in your state. If you are at or below the median income, you pass the means test and are eligible to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy. If you are above the median income, you must pass an additional test which compares your disposable income and unsecured debts.

The median income in Oklahoma for a family of two is $48,909

FiveStarLaw :

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier I had to go to work and I didn't get back home until 15 hours later.

Where could I go to see this mean test on line? Something simple so I could see what consider the amount of money needed to live on, like gas, mortgage, car cost, health insurance, etc. Thanks

Here is one site where you may approximately calculate whether you meet the means test:

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.