cfortunato
cfortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy professor.
14232603

This question gas to do with personal Bankruptcy. My son who

Customer Question

This question gas to do with personal Bankruptcy. My son who has some learning disabilities
is now an adult. He on his own signed up for an online collage course a couple of years ago ane to pay for it was directed to a government loan program. He was not able to complete the course yet has been charged through some government student loan about 9,000. dollars. He has been mostly unemployed for the last 4 years because of his disabilities. He has been able to work his brother inlaws business part time for a week or two at a time. The collection agency connected to the loan has been threatening to garnish his small wage that he is able to make. My question is seeing as this is a federal government loan would his filing personal bankrupcy be of any help to him ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  cfortunato replied 4 years ago.

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is Chris and I'm a Bankruptcy attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Unfortunately, all student loans are not dischargeable in a Bankruptcy. It does not matter if the loan is a government loan or a private loan.

cfortunato :

However, your son's wages cannot be garnished if he takes home less than $217.50 per week when he does work.

JACUSTOMER-zs89iso0- :

Thank you for answering my question. I would give you the "Good Service" rating

cfortunato :

You're welcome!

cfortunato :

And thank you for providing a positive rating!