Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

A customer filed bankruptcy and was discharged. She owed me

A customer filed bankruptcy and was discharged. She owed me a debt, but did not list it on the bankruptcy schedules. I know in theory I should be able to collect the debt, but do some bankruptcy districts permit unsecured debts not listed to be discharged? The bankruptcy is in Minnesota.

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

This is a common situation,

If the debt was acquired prior to the bankruptcy,

and was not listed due to a mistake or error by the debtor, if the debtor obtained a no assets chapter 7 discharge,

the debt would also be considered discharged, even if not listed.

Thank you so much. Unfortunately, I see this frequently, and am not always sure what I can do.