socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I filed bankruptcy and was dismissed last year Oct. 2012.

I filed bankruptcy and was dismissed last year Oct. 2012. My debt was 20-25000. My house is worth mayber 40000 and my lawyer says now that the trustee wants the difference to pay back the creditors some of the debt. Because I own the house they say they want the equity now. Can they do this? Even after the discharge?
My lawyer says now that they will settle for 5000. lump sum. I dont have that kind of money laying around. What if I dismiss and say no forget the bankruptcy. What would happen then? Would they still come after the house or would they let me pay them monthly? I mean the creditors already have written off my debt.
Can they bring it back??
What if I dismiss and say no forget the bankruptcy. What would happen then?

A: If the court grants the dismissal, then all of your assets and debts would revest in you, and you would be in exactly the same position you were in prior to filing bankruptcy -- less any payments made to creditors during the bankruptcy.

Would they still come after the house or would they let me pay them monthly?

A: That's entirely up to the creditor -- you can try to negotiate, but the creditors don't have to cooperate. They can sue for a judgment on the debt and the attempt to garnish or execute against your assets to recover their unpaid debts.

I mean the creditors already have written off my debt. Can they bring it back??

A: Yes. The Internal Revenue Code expressly requires that a creditor that later recovers a debt previously charged off on a 1099-C must treat that debt as new income.

Hope this helps.

If you need to contact me again, please use this link, and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!

Hello again,

Customer service informs me that you are dissatisfied with my services. After reviewing my answer, I find that it is legally accurate and thoroughly addresses your questions as asked. I would appreciate it if you would please explain why you are dissatisfied, so that I may improve my work for others in the future.

Note: If your answer is simply that this is the only way that you could get your answer for free, then please advise me of that fact, so that I will know that there was nothing wrong with the answer.

Thanks in advance.

ref: 0/2