dylatess, Attorney
Experience:  37 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law

I have recently received a Chapter 7 discharge that I had done

I have recently received a Chapter 7 discharge that I had done prose. One of the debts included in my bankruptcy was a judgment for a personal loan received from a previous acquaintance. My employer has just notified me that they received garnishment papers from a court today to garnish my wages for the debt. It was my understanding that the judgment would be wiped out in the Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharge. Am I incorrect?
Over 34 years, I have assisted my clients with debt problems having filed more than 32000 Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy petitions.
YOu are correct. However, you need to go to the bankruptcy court and obtain a filed copy of your petition. And then take it to the court that issued the garnishment. They will then issue a notice of stay which you then give to your employer which instructs him to ignore the garnishment. Note, without this notice, the employer must abide by the garnishment instructions. Further, you will continue to have your wages garnished for a debt that would otherwise be wiped out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your prompt response. When going to the bankruptcy court to obtain a filed copy of my petition, is it just the petition itself, or the schedules as well that would show that specific debt?

A copy of the face page of the petition and the schedule page that list the debt. I wish you well. Please be so kind as to rate my service ok or better.