Paul K, Esq.
Paul K, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  10 years Exp., Great customer service, Prompt responses.
70873552

i think my last question didnt go through. if i go to court

i think my last question didn't go through. if i go to court and get a judgment can i still settle afterwards for less than the judgment amount. i think i will defer a bankruptcy decision until i go to court and see if i lose. i hope not to since it's such a fake lawsuit but you never now.
also if the total amount of payments to all credit cards and others in the 3 months before you file total around $4,000 or less is it likely that the trustee would invoke a clawback.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Paul K, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Paul K, Esq. :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would love to assist you. Give me a moment to research your issue and I will answer promptly.

Paul K, Esq. :

That is a good question.

Paul K, Esq. :

It really depends on teh creditor, but the answer is Yes.

Paul K, Esq. :

They have to agree to settle for less, but it happens often.

Paul K, Esq. :

For example, if you get a judgment for $4,000.00 and call the creditor and say "I know it is for $4k, but if I give you $2,500.00 this week, can that be a final settlement on the account?"

Paul K, Esq. :

Quite often they will say yes to that.

Paul K, Esq. :

The preference period of 90 days applies to all creditors who received $600.00 or more per creditor. So if 4 creditors got $1,000.00 each, yes the Trustee is likely to do that. Now if 10 creditors got $400 each, then the Trustee cannot go after that money.

Paul K, Esq. :

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Paul K, Esq. :

I will be off and on throughout the day and evening, so I will check back periodically to see if you have further questions.

Paul K, Esq. :

Good luck, I know frivolous lawsuits can be awfully annoying and stressful, so I hope it works out for you.

Paul K, Esq. :

As always, be sure to provide a positive rating when I have completely answered your questions.

Paul K, Esq. :

Have a great day!!!!\

Customer:

i plan to reaffirm a few debts that were my personal debts not my husband's business debts that i guaranteed. i therefore think a seven should be possible since we owe the small business administration over a million dollars and have no assets. (we were 9/11 victims and took out loans that they promised would become grants but never did.) personally i owe about 20,000 and i've been current on all my debts. i am also repaying non-government business debts.

Customer:

should i care if the trustee does a clawback? it's such a small amount of money it seems hardly worth their time.

Paul K, Esq. :

No, a clawback does not affect you at all, so it is ok.

Paul K, Esq. :

Basically they will take the money back and then spread it evenly amongst the other creditors. This can tend to help you at times because it can take money from a unsecured creditor and redistribute it to a priority creditor, like taxes, so that you get credit for the money.

Paul K, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 10 years Exp., Great customer service, Prompt responses.
Thanks for the review and bonus. If you have further questions at any time, please let me know!!! Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i was planning to pay some past due sales tax from the company before filing. i would have to pay it anyway. i assume that tax is an amount that is not subject to clawback.

Usually not. Most often taxes are allowed to be paid, so that would be ok.
Paul K, Esq., Attorney