Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

I am in a chapter 13 case now(2 and a half years), I need a

I am in a chapter 13 case now(2 and a half years), I need a place to live and all the apartments I apply to have turned me down. The reason given credit score too low. I feel because of the chapter 13. My question is: What can I say or do to the properties I am applying to rent to help me get a place to live. Is thIs discrimation? Please help, I have a job and can pay rent but no one will give me a chance. This bankruptcy has leaving me homeless. What can I do...Thanks

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

This is an unfortunate situation, it is not protected discrimination, so a lawsuit against the landlord would not be available,

However, what you need to do is advise the landlord that you are in a chapter 13 payment plan bankruptcy, and are working and can pay 2-3 months security up front,

The more security you can pay upfront the better chances you have in obtaining a rental, also, consider a co signor on the lease as well whose credit is better.

In terms of your credit it will hurt you, what you will need to do is look for apartments through a broker, and advise the broker of your situation, so they can find places where a landlord will accept you, if you pay more security.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you good suggestions.

good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Also, under the bankruptcy law, job discrimination is protected, but housing is not.

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback.