Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

"For FiveStarLaw". Should I stop paying my credit card bi

"For FiveStarLaw". Should I stop paying my credit card bills?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

I assume that you mean "Should I stop paying my credit card bills if i am going to file bankruptcy?" If this is not your question please let me know and I will provide you with an answer that response to your question

Most people find it advantageous to stop making credit card payments at the same time they make the decision to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy. There are a couple of reasons for this.

First, the chapter 7 bankruptcy will discharge the credit card debt regardless of the amount that is owed. Therefore it is not helpful to pay down the credit card debt prior to filing.

Secondly, a Chapter 7 bankruptcy provides for the equal distribution of payment to creditors of the same class. If a debtor pays one creditor to the detriment of another creditor, a preference situation may occur requiring the trustee to recover funds from the creditor

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.