Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

"For FiveStarLaw"-if I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy would I

"For FiveStarLaw"-if I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy would I have to pay my mortgage?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for requesting me to answer your new question. I appreciate it

Your Question - if I filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy would I have to pay my mortgage?

My Answer - Yes, but only if you want to keep the house

Explanation - A chapter 7 bankruptcy will typically discharge your personal liability on the mortgage but does not remove the lien on the property. This means if you do not pay the mortgage, the property may be foreclosed. The lender could sell the property to satisfy the debt but could not obtain a judgment against you for the unsatisfied portion of the debt.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.