FiveStarLaw
FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Im currently underwater on my 1st mrtg.(90K and my 2nd mrtg

I'm currently underwater on my 1st mrtg.(90K and my 2nd mrtg ((55K).I wish to delay any foreclosure action for as long as possible. I've received a notification from my first lender (BOC) but not from my 2nd (RBC Centura) I have approx. $50K in savings but I also have 2 girls in college. My wife is a cancer survivor but requires regular chech-ups. I have been diagnosticed with 3 different cancers in the past year. We filed a Chapter 7 five yeas ago but reaffirmed our mortagtes. Our current monthly expenses are $7,500 (including mortages) with income of$3,396. What kind of actions can I expect the lenders to take and how can I best delay them.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  FiveStarLaw replied 1 year ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

I am a Florida licensed attorney. I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Your Question - What kind of actions can I expect the lenders to take

My Answer - One or both of the lenders will file a foreclosure action and obtain a deficiency judgment for any unpaid amount of the mortgage(s).

Your Question - and how can I best delay them.

My Answer - A chapter 13 bankruptcy may delay the foreclosure and/or, better yet, strip (remove) the 2nd mortgage and allow you to reinstate/renegotiate the first mortgage

Explanation - A Chapter 13 bankruptcy can strip off a 2nd mortgage if the first mortgage equals or exceeds the value of the property. A chapter 13 bankruptcy may be used to strip away the 2nd mortgage allowing you to then negotiate with the first mortgage for a modification.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You state that a Chapter 13 can strip off a 2nd mortgage if it equals or exceeds the value of the proberty. This is clearly not the case. I owe the 1st lender approx. $90K which would be abour $20K less that the market value of the property

Thank you for that additional information Frank. You can still use a chapter 13 to delay the foreclosure sale. Most individuals in this situation find it advantageous to file a Chapter 13 after the foreclosure sale date has been set. Since your foreclosure action has not yet been filed, you appear to have quite a bit of time before the foreclosure will be set for sale.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can I file a Chapter 13 in Florida only five years afer filing a Chapter 7?

I neglected to mention in my first correspondence thath the property has a market value of 110K to 115K with a 90K 1st mortgage.

Yes. A person may file a chapter 13 at any time after receiving the discharge of the chapter 7 for purposes of invoking the automatic stay and setting up a payment plan.

This does not change my answer

FiveStarLaw, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.