Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

Can I keep my house if I fill for Chapter 7 or 13.? Also can

Can I keep my house if I fill for Chapter 7 or 13.? Also can I just filled for bankarutcy only to get rid of the credit cards debt?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Your Question - Can I keep my house if I fill for Chapter 7 or 13.?

My Answer - Yes you may keep your house in a chapter 13 bankruptcy regardless of the amount of equity in the house. You may keep your house in a chapter 7 bankruptcy if the equity does not exceed $21,625

Explanation - A chapter 7 is considered a liquidation bankruptcy and a chapter 13 is considered a payment plan. A chapter 7 debtor must surrender assets that exceed those that are exempt. A Pennsylvania debtor choosing the federal exemptions may currently exempt $21,625 in homestead property

Your Question - Also can I just filled for bankarutcy only to get rid of the credit cards debt?

My Answer - All debts must be listed in the bankruptcy petition however you can choose to repay certain debts

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.