Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

We had an equity line of credit which was paid off when we

We had an equity line of credit which was paid off when we sold our last house. Fifth Third told us afterwards that we could keep the line of credit open. We filed bankruptcy a year or two later, and Fifth Third was listed as an unsecured creditor. We just found out that there is a foreclosure on our credit report from them. Can they do this?
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Your Question - We just found out that there is a foreclosure on our credit report from them. Can they do this?

My Answer - No

Explanation - The bankruptcy would have discharged your personal liability on the debt. Your credit report may only reflect that the debt was discharged in the bankruptcy. The credit report may not lawfully reflect the foreclosure since your personal liability was discharged in the bankruptcy

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.