JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996

I am pro se and nearing the confirmation of my Ch 13 Plan. I

I am pro se and nearing the confirmation of my Ch 13 Plan.

I filed an objection to one of my creditor's claims last week.

Today, I noticed on PACER that the creditor has now filed a "special notice request".

I am unable to view the document on line.

What is a special notice request in this context ?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hi Casper.

Without seeing the document I couldn't say for sure, but generally a special notice request just means the creditor is asking the court to require that any future filings made by anyone (you, the trustee, U.S. Trustee, etc) be mailed to the creditor at a particular location/address.

You will need to obtain a hard copy of the special notice request in order to comply with it.

Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Funds I receive from JustAnswer.com are gratuities paid to me for taking the time to respond to questions, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. JoeLawyer is an attorney but does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) JoeLawyer. All rights reserved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.

Should I expect to receive a copy of the notice directly from the creditor ? The actual doc is not viewable on PACER.
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure. In my jurisdiction a hard copy is mailed to the debtor if the debtor is pro se, but if you are filing your documents on PACER then you may only get electronic versions of filings emailed to you. If you are paper filing, then you should get a copy in the mail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I go about filing docs electronically ? I'm only able to view them presently ?
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 1 year ago.
You have to sign up for a CM/ECF (Case Management/Electronic Case Filing) account on the PACER website. My court requires you to undergo CM/ECF training before they will assign you an account, but other courts may be more lax in that regard.

However, as I read more about CM/ECF, I found that it may only be available to attorneys (since the PACER CM/ECF website says "There are a number of significant benefits and features: ... Courts can allow registered attorneys to file documents 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.").

Having a full account is very handy since you can then file documents electronically, but it is limiting since once you have a CM/ECF account, you are no longer allowed to file paper documents and you have to file electronically (at least in many jurisdictions, including mine). Also, once you have an account, other people are no longer required to send you a hard copy of what they file since you are then required to get your copies of all documents by email.

Here's some more info about CM/ECF:

http://www.pacer.gov/psc/efaq.html#CMECF

If the court won't let you have a CM/ECF account since you are not an attorney, you should continue to get everything that is filed by mail.

Joe

JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience: Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996