Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS

I am being sued for nonpayment of a credit card debt. I also

I am being sued for nonpayment of a credit card debt. I also have other credit card debts. Can filing bankruptcy stop this suit? The hearing is scheduled for Feb 1, 2013. I am on disability and cannot afford a lawyer. I recently got divorced over this whole financial thing and have been left with little but debt. I am struggling with living situation on a whole.

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

A bankruptcy would wipe out all your credit card debts, and stop the current lawsuit,

once you file a bankruptcy a creditor cannot bring any legal actions against you

If you file bankruptcy you would no longer need to go to the hearing or bother with the suit as it would be discharged

Customer: At this point I still need to take the class, do you think there is time.? The hearing on my first cc is 2.1.13
Customer: I have extensive debt

the certificate course can be done over the internet and you can receive the certificate in a few hours, so you can file a bankruptcy within 1-2 days

you should order a credit report, and take the pre filing certificate

Customer: Would I need to still go to the Feb hearing?

not if you file before the court date

Customer: It sounds kind of cut and dry. I know it is not an easy task but can it be that timely?

yes, it should not take more then a few days,

the certificate can be done today,

Customer: Ok thank you

and you need to have a credit report to list all your debts,