Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

RA - al

Customer Question

Currently fired by a local bank. Can I file bankruptcy on debt issued by them if it is unsecured and I can not afford to pay it without losing my pension and 401k plan?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 3 years ago.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

Yes you can :-)

Both Ohio and federal law protect pensions and 401(k)'s from the claims of most unsecured creditors. 401(k)'s and a pension may only be attached for taxes and child support. In addition, unemployment compensation is also protected from creditor claims