socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I am not sure if this is a bankrupcy question or not but as

I am not sure if this is a bankrupcy question or not but as i understand it-----
OJ Simpson did not have to pay in his civil suit because he was a florida resident. He is allowed one hous, one car and his retirement and IRA's that can not be toutched by the courts.
What would happen if a Florida resident was ordered to pay restitution to the courts. Would the same exclusions apply?
Florida law has held that the homestead exemption is valid against a criminal restitution order. Schlosser v. State, 602 So.2d 628 (FL 2nd Dist. 7/8/1992). However, where the court orders restitution as a condition of probation, the convict's refusal to waive the exemption is a willful violation of probation which authorizes the court to revoke probation and take the convict into custody. Downing v. State, 593 So.2d 607 (FL 5th Dist. 2/14/1992). So, it's quite a bit more complicated than one might have originally thought.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to entertain while educating the public about the law. I hope my answer is useful and informative to you. During our conversation, the website may ask you to rate my answer. If you rate my answer lower than the middle rating, then the website retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing. It is entirely your choice as to how you rate my answer. However, because your payment to me is in the nature of a donation/gift, rather than as compensation for any services rendered, you are entitled to know how your rating affects the final distribution of your donation.

If you need to contact me again, please put my user id at the beginning of your question ("To Socrateaser"), and the system will send me an alert. Please Click the following link for IMPORTANT LEGAL INFORMATION. Thanks and best wishes!