WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
Experience:  14 years exp., CH 7 AND 13 Bankruptcy cases, AFL-CIO UNION PLUS, UFT NYSID AND ALL MAJOR UNIONS
16356563

I have a continuation of a Citation to discover assets hearing

I have a continuation of a Citation to discover assets hearing coming up in about a week.

I am 99.9% certain I will be declaring Chapter 7 personal bankruptcy although it likely won't be prior to the scheduled hearing date.

Should I notify opposing counsel of my intention to see if they may be willing to forego the continuation or might they feel I'm just bluffing ?

With that in mind, Is there any action they could take upon that notification that could make this situation worse prior to my formally filing BK? I understand the stay goes into effect upon filing but why waste everyone's time and legal fees prior to?

WALLSTREETESQ :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on.

WALLSTREETESQ :

At this point their is no benefit in advising the counsel of your bankruptcy filing, you can attend the meeting and advise the Court that you are considering a bankruptcy and the opposing attorney may try to work out some settlement, however it would be best to file the bankruptcy after the hearing,

WALLSTREETESQ :

and at that point if you wish contact the attorney about a possible settlement.

WALLSTREETESQ :

Unless you actually filed a bankruptcy opposing counsel would not adjourn the case,

WALLSTREETESQ :

so it would not be worth it for you at this point.

WALLSTREETESQ :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.